Tuesday, January 4, 2011

New year, new directions



(So...a first post....intimidating as hell....)

A few weeks ago, I admitted for the first time to myself and a few friends that I thought a phase of my life that had dominated for nearly 25 years was over and that something new was on the horizon. After being a professional musician and composer for nearly half of my life, it was becoming apparent to me that things were changing...music, though still a primary force, was no longer the element of my creative life that was foremost.

...to be honest, I had been feeling this for quite some time -- I just wasn't ready to admit it out loud. Of course, my wife, ever more aware than myself, knew it before I said it -- one of these days I'll learn to go to her first rather than stew about things until I drive everyone else nuts.

The short version (the long version will most certainly be discussed here in the future) is that painting, and all of the things that go with it, has become much more than the therapeutic diversion it had started as a little over one year ago. It has become an obsession....and I feel much better every time I admit. So, dear blog reader, there it is...

Welcome to my first year as a full-time visual artist. I have no idea where this new direction will lead, but as a teacher once told me...we are not in control of the art, we are in service to it...

No comments:

Post a Comment