Saturday, January 8, 2011

Insanity


I wrestled with the idea of posting anything today. When I walked into my studio this morning to start the above still-life, I had no clue about what was unfolding a few hours away...

Today, words seem fruitless. Today in Tucson, a lunatic with a 9mm shot eighteen people he didn't even know for no other reason than that he disagreed with their politics. A differing view whipped into maniacal frenzy by a culture of fear, jingoistic hate-mongering blame, and violence advocated by the rapacious, self-serving, megalomaniacs that call themselves patriots and flood the media with vitriolic rantings designed to do only one thing....sell advertising dollars....

So this is what we've come to; public discourse reduced to hysterical finger-pointing and gun-shots...

Today, words actually have killed someone....six people in Tucson to be exact....

As I said, I wrestled with posting today's painting...after much deliberation, I decided that on the heels of this kind of ugliness, I needed to remind myself there are still many out there that are trying to make the world more beautiful....I hope to be one of those one day....peace all


1 comment:

  1. You said it all: words seem "fruitless" ...perfect time for a still life. :-)

    ReplyDelete